Thursday, April 22, 2010

Types of Insomnia
There are five major types of insomnia. They are Priamary Insomnia, Co-Morbid Insomnia, Transient Insomnia, Short-Term Insomnia, and Chronic Insomnia.


Click Here!!
www.shuteye.com/what-is-insomnia/types-of-insomnia.aspx
more information and a quiz =]


Primary insomnia

Primary insomnia is defined as having sleep problems that are not related to another health issue.

Co-morbid insomnia

Co-morbid insomnia involves sleep problems that are associated with other medical problems, and is the most common. More than eight out of ten people who suffer with insomnia are believed to have this type. Examples of medical problems that are commonly associated with insomnia are:

  • Illnesses, such as arthritis, cancer, heartburn, heart and lung diseases
  • Pain, anxiety, and depression
  • A substance you may be using, such as alcohol, caffeine, or tobacco
  • Prescription or over-the-counter medications
  • Another sleep disorder, such as restless leg syndrome or sleep apnea
  • A poor sleep environment or a change in sleep routine

Transient insomnia

Transient insomnia lasts fewer than four weeks. It is often caused by jet lag, temporary stress, excitement, illness, or a change in one's sleep schedule.

Short-term insomnia

Short-term insomnia lasts for a period of four weeks to six months. It often results from more prolonged stress or worries, such as financial troubles, the death of a loved one, a job change, or a divorce. If not addressed, short-term insomnia may escalate into a chronic problem.

Chronic insomnia

Chronic insomnia can occur every night, most nights, or several nights each month. Chronic insomnia is often caused by a medical problem; treating the underlying problem may alleviate the insomnia. Chronic sleeplessness may also be caused by bad sleep habits.

I took the quiz and here are my results:

Your score : 12

Based on your results, you may be at risk for mild to moderate insomnia. Although this degree of insomnia severity may not require immediate treatment, you should talk to your doctor about your sleep and continue monitoring these symptoms to check if they worsen over time. Your doctor is your best source for helping you combat health-related concerns, such as insomnia.


1 comment:

  1. I took the quiz and got a 9, which is the same mid to moderate result that you got. While I think many people have insomnia without realizing it, I also think that it is easy not allow your body enough time to sleep. I think that is most people's problem. I know that I do not allot myself enough hours to sleep between work, school, extra curriculars, etc. By not focusing on our own health, we will end up cause ourselves to have other illnesses and a lower quality of life.

    ReplyDelete